I feel strongly that there can be no discussion of health, vitality, wellness or sanity without talking about sleep.
If you’ve ever had a baby or struggled with insomnia you know sleep deprivation feels like true suffering. Caffeine can bandaid the problem, but not without consequences…like making it harder to get the sleep you need the next time.
If you take nothing from our time together, please understand the importance of maximizing your sleep efficiency. Your body wants nothing more than to do its very best job for you but it can’t do it if you don’t let it.
It needs sleep + I probably don’t need to tell you that there are millions of tired, exhausted people walking around.
Good sleep hygiene is the best thing you can do for yourself, so let’s get to it.
First, let’s change the way you look at it. I know that when sleep isn’t a priority it’s easy to keep doing other stuff, cramming in just a few more dishes, emails or facebooking before getting into bed.
Why do you want to make sleep a priority?
What changes in your life when you’ve slept?
Who else will benefit from your rested self?
Let’s not forget the motivation - what happens when we are well rested?
Creative, motivated, we exercise, less sugar cravings, hormone regulation, better skin, generous/giving, positive, less impulsive, less stressed, productive, happier, weight loss, energized, presence, better sex drive, better problem solving, improved relationships, better communication, more clarity. Is that motivating enough?
Pick 1 or 2 new strategies to test drive + commit to yourself + the group to stick to them for the next 7 days.
- Literally turn off all the screens 1 hour before you get in bed.
- Get a book to read - preferably something light/easy so your brain doesn’t have to work too hard.
- Write in a journal or write in your gratitude journal.
- Review your day beginning with bedtime + go backwards through the morning. Stick to facts without judgment. You can take note of what went well or what you'd like to do differently, as long as you don't feel sucked into self-criticism.
- Lay on your back + focus on your breath (yup, meditating). Count the exhales until you get to 10, then start over.
- Listen to this Guided Relaxation (Yoga Nidra) audio to help relax your mind + body.
- Drink a cup of herbal tea. There are some good sleep ones with tulsi, lavender, camomile, ginger.
- Take a magnesium supplement. Bonus this helps your guts + elimination the next morning too.
- avoid sugar, especially chocolate before bed (it’s stimulating), alcohol is also disruptive to sleep, even when it makes you tired + puts you to sleep.
Having a few things you do each night before bed, when it becomes a routine, prepares your body + mind for rest. Sure there will be times when your sleep will suffer + that’s ok. Knowing what works for YOU will help you get back into balance.
Share how you plan to get more QUALITY rest this week or what works for you now or has in the past. You hold the answers to getting what you need.
Remember this season is largely about resting, restoring + balancing so we're ready to blossom into Spring! It's totally normal for your sleep requirement to feel excessive or even ridiculous this time of year. Indulge yourself.
I am prioritizing my rest + creating more rhythm in order to live with more energy + more ease.